In real estate, “location, location, location” is a well-known mantra. When it comes to the location of your home’s thermostat, you might not realize how truly essential the right location is! The right location of your thermostat can impact how your HVAC system performs, your energy bills and even the life of your machine.
How do I know if you thermostat locations are correct?
While every home is different and the optimal thermostat location will vary due to your system, your home design and other factors, there are some definite no-no’s you should pay attention to regarding your thermostat’s location.
Don’t place your thermostat near:
- The Kitchen – When the oven is on, your kitchen can be the hottest room in your house. If your thermostat is in the kitchen, it can force your system to work harder and prevent accurate readings.
- The Hallway – Most likely you spend very little time in the hallway, decreasing the accuracy of the readings.
- Doors And Windows – Drafty windows and conversely sunny areas, can skew the readings of your thermostat and are, therefore, poor locations for your thermostat.
Follow best practices. Your home is unique and its layout will determine the best thermostat locations and there are a few overall best practices you can follow to ensure your HVAC system is working at its best. Your thermostat’s optimal location will most likely be on an interior wall, away from areas that run cold or hot or have inconsistent temperatures. You should also take into consideration the rooms in which you and your family spend the most time.
Have an HVAC professional audit your system and your thermostat locations. A professional heating and cooling partner can help you assess the best thermostat locations for your home as well as install them in their new locations when needed. While you have the HVAC professional in your home, you might also request a full maintenance check on your system to ensure:
- Your HVAC system is working at its best,
- You’re not in danger of an emergency breakdown on a cold winter day or a hot summer day,
- Your HVAC system’s life is extended through preventive maintenance,
- Your energy bills are as low as possible and.
- You and your family are comfortable in your home.
Stiles Heating, Cooling, & Plumbing is the go-to HVAC service provider in Athens. We’ve been serving this community for over four decades and have the experience needed to ensure our customers get the most out of their HVAC systems, save money whenever possible on energy bills as well as enjoy their living space with clean air and comfortable temperatures. When you’re ready to find out if your thermostats are in the right locations in your home, contact us for an assessment today.
Get started with a free consultation today.