Every February is American Heart Month. It’s a time when Americans think about keeping their hearts healthy. Heart disease is a leading cause of death in the U.S. as well as the rest of the world, so it is important to reflect on what we can do to improve our collective heart health. One factor that has been shown to improve heart health is indoor air quality.
Serious attention and research have been focused on indoor air pollution as a public health problem since the 1960s, when researchers examined indoor pollutants, including nitrogen dioxide, carbon monoxide and other particles and the effects they have on our health. The results of the research have shown there is a direct correlation between indoor air quality and certain disease risks, including coronary heart disease and stroke.
According to the American Heart Association, every 40 seconds someone dies from cardiovascular disease in this country. Also, it is estimated that half of Americans have at least one of three main risk factors known to contribute to heart disease, which includes high blood pressure, high cholesterol or smoking. In addition to taking measures to avoid these top three heart-healthy concerns, lack of indoor air quality is another way to ensure a healthy heart for many years to come.
Check out six top ways to improve your indoor air quality and help your heart:
- Remove your shoes – Take off your shoes when you enter your house to keep the chemicals, pollen, dirt and dust you accumulate outside.
- Create a no smoking policy – If you smoke, do it outside. This is one of the best things you can do to protect your indoor quality.
- Limit the use of aerosols – Aerosols should be avoided as they can cause skin reactions, aggravate allergies as well as trigger heart problems.
- Monitor humidity – By monitoring the humidity in your home, you can avoid the development of mold which can cause serious health problems.
- Air purifiers – If you have issues or allergies, an investment in an air purifier may be worth it to keep the air clean in your home.
- Houseplants – Add some nature to your indoor living space and improve your indoor air quality with inexpensive houseplants that can improve the air in your home.
Stiles Heating & Cooling has decades of experience with a team of NATE-certified technicians to assist you with all your HVAC needs. We’re proudly located in Athens, where we provide Athens and surrounding communities with the very best in HVAC services including installations, repairs and maintenance.
Get started with a free consultation today.